Q - How Reading Changed My Life by Anna Quindlen

>> Sunday, August 6, 2006

This one barely qualifies as a book at only 84 pages, but I first saw this in a bookstore in Cannon Beach several years ago and almost bought it then. I’ve picked it up several times since, so now was a good time to go ahead and read it. This book brought back many memories of my own childhood as a booklover. It also reinforced that for many of us reading is not the passive activity some folks believe it to be. I found many quotable passages in this book and although I got this from the library, I may have to buy a copy so I can re-read it often. I think any booklover will find a bit of thier own history in this little book.

Joy 8/06/2006 10:01 AM

Ahhhh, sounds like a quaint little book that I might like to pick up. I have Anna Quindlen as my "Q" author, but not this book. I'll have a difficult choice when I get there. :)

Carrie,  8/06/2006 7:53 PM

I love Anna Quindlen, though I profess to liking her essays more than her novels. I might pick this book up because reading has certainly enriched my life!

I loved Quindlen essays collection in "Loud and Clear", but didn't much take to her novel "Black and Blue", but then sadly it was an Oprah Book Club selection, which despite my admiring the woman greatly sends me running for the hills, rather than to the book store!

Wonderful Blog btw..

SuziQoregon 8/06/2006 8:20 PM

Carrie - that's interesting. You're the second person who's told me that they like Anna Quindlen's essays much better than her fiction.

I'm having a lot of fun with this blog.

Booklogged 8/06/2006 8:37 PM

I've heard a few people recommend this book. I've only one read one Quindlen, Blessings. Liked it quite well. So I'm going to add this to my list.

Eleanor 8/08/2006 4:56 AM

Put me on the list as one who enjoys Quindlen's essays and not her novels.

I particularly loved the fact that Quindlen cites "Little Women" so affectionately in this book -- it was my favorite first big novel, too...

SuziQoregon 8/08/2006 8:06 AM

The part that I loved was when she talked about the volumes of Readers Digest Condensed books. My grandparents had those and when I was at their house and desperate for things to read I'd pick those up. I still remember "Mrs. 'Arris Goes to Paris" as one I really enjoyed.

Karen :) 8/08/2006 8:18 AM

I am going to have to check this one out. Reading was one of the things that kept me sane as a child in a dysfunctional house. :P

K :)

Eleanor 8/12/2006 5:10 PM

I remember crackin' up when I read the Reader's Digest Condensed Version of "Jonathan Livingston Seagull."

I mean, for cryin' out loud! That book was only about 12 pages long already.