The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

>> Tuesday, October 31, 2006

This book was just amazing. Fortunately I was able to read the second half all in one day and completely immerse myself in it.

From the front cover flap:
"It's just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery...."

Narrated by Death, Markus Zusak's groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich in Nazi Germany. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she discovers something she can't resist-books. Soon she is stealing books from Nazi book-burnings, the mayor's wife's library, wherever they are to be found.
With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, Liesel learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement.
. . . an unforgettable novel about the ability of books to feed the soul.

Death is a surprisingly eloquent, compassionate and gentle narrator to a story that is quite emotional and far beyond what I expected from what is being marketed as a Young Adult book. It seems that every couple of pages was another stunner of a beautiful image, sentence or paragraph.

I’m not going to say anything more about the plot, but I am going to highly recommend this book. Definitely one of my top 5 for this year.

Sheri 10/31/2006 4:52 PM

OK thats it! I'm reading it right after The Thirteenth Tale.

Booklogged 10/31/2006 9:47 PM

I've had it on hold at the library and it finally came in today. *Cheers* Need to finish the one I'm reading first, though. Such will power!

Les 11/01/2006 8:33 AM

I'm thrilled to hear you enjoyed it so well. It's my #1 for the year and quite possibly for my life. I just can't stop gushing about this wonderful book! Unfortunately, The Thirteenth Tale paled in comparison. :(

jenclair 11/01/2006 10:50 AM

I'm reading it now. Slowly. I have a saturation point, then I move to a lighter book. It is remarkable and very different from anything else I've read.

SuziQoregon 11/01/2006 7:25 PM

Sheri and Booklogged - hope you like it as much as I did.

Les: it was your review that tipped the scale for me and made me buy it. Thank you!!

Jen: I understand about the saturation point. I had to follow it up with something completely different in mood and style. I need to let this one kind of rest in my brain a bit so my next few books will probably be familiar series.

Les 11/02/2006 11:12 AM

Happy to help. :)

Framed 11/02/2006 11:52 PM

Oooooh, it's the very last book on my A to Z list. Oh well, I just have to read 39 more and than I get to read "The Book Thief." Most of the reviews I've read about it make it sound worth the wait.

Bookfool 11/04/2006 5:57 PM

Suzi,

I loved The Book Thief so much that I almost take it personally when someone doesn't fall in love with it immediately. Still my #1, too. Les and I could gush all day. :)