Witches’ Bane by Susan Wittig Albert

>> Monday, February 26, 2007

This is the second in the China Bayles light mystery series. I first learned about this series from Framed & Booked and have enjoyed them so far. China is a former hotshot lawyer who leaves her Houston practice to open an Herb Shop in a small town in the Texas Hill country.

In this installment of the series China and her friend Ruby find their shops boycotted and themselves accused of promoting witchcraft due to Ruby’s Tarot card classes. Things get complicated when a member of the class is murdered and Ruby may be implicated. China’s mother makes an appearance in this one and more of China’s family history and background is revealed. I’m looking forward to continuing with this series.

Booklogged 3/05/2007 5:45 PM

Just got this in the mail from bookmooch. I'm looking forward to reading a nice cozy mystery.

SuziQoregon 3/05/2007 7:23 PM

Booklogged - I have enjoyed the first two and plan on continuing the series. Hope you like it. As you can see by my blog, I've been on a cozy mystery binge lately to counteract my Classics binge.

Framed 3/10/2007 6:17 PM

I have one more of this series to read and another she wrote, "The Tale of Holly Cow." I bought it just because I've so enjoyed her China Bayles series. I'm glad you like them too.

SuziQoregon 3/13/2007 8:11 PM

Framed: thanks again for the recommendation. I've since recommended the series to several friends.

Kris 3/30/2007 1:39 PM

I have enjoyed this entire series...I hope you do too.

SuziQoregon 4/01/2007 9:09 AM

Kris: Glad to see another vote for this series. I just started the 3rd one yesterday.