Aunt Dimity and the Duke by Nancy Atherton

>> Wednesday, March 7, 2007

This is my 3rd book for the TBR Challenge.
I was slightly confused as I started this book. I had listened to and enjoyed the first book in the series (Aunt Dimity’s Death) last year. As I started reading this one I was wondering where Lori was. She was the main character in the first book and is nowhere to be found in this one. It turns out that this book, although published as the second in the series, is actually a prequel to the first book. It tells the story of Lori’s neighbors and how Aunt Dimity managed to orchestrate their meeting. Once I figured out who I was actually reading about, it made at least part of the ending a foregone conclusion, but the story and slight mystery along the way were still enjoyable. I am looking forward to getting back to Lori in the next book.

Booklogged 3/07/2007 7:51 PM

I can see why you were confused. Do suggest reading this book first even though it was published later?

SuziQoregon 3/07/2007 8:20 PM

I'm actually inclined to say skip this one and go straight from 1 to 3 ;-)

ML 3/09/2007 10:40 AM

Wow, that's interesting. Good thing you figured it out, though :)

nessie 3/12/2007 10:59 PM

Ha! I just finished my own third read for the challenge. yeah!

SuziQoregon 3/13/2007 8:09 PM

ML - thanks for stopping by.

Nessie: I'm sticking with one a month for the TBR challenge (so far, anyway)

Bibliochef 3/30/2007 9:46 AM

just read aunt dimity and the duke -- picked it up at a used bookstore here in claremont and did it n one day. a nicely written book, don't you think? What do you make of including the recipe at the end?

As a side note, I willcomment on it at my blog ina few days -- http://www.cookingwithideas.typepad.com

I try to do reviews etc of murder mysteries with food connections. . . but bought this one just to read -- and there was the unexpected recipe at the end. . .

Anonymous,  6/22/2007 7:38 PM

I just started reading Aunt Dimity and the Duke. I guessed right away that the story took place before the first book and was about the meeting of Emma and Derek. But what I don't understand is the recap on the cover. It says "...thank goodness being dead won't stop Aunt Dimity from lending a helping hand". Aunt Dimity didn't die until after Emma and Derek had been married a few years. So how could she be dead in the second book?