Open and Shut by David Rosenfelt

>> Saturday, March 31, 2007

I first heard of this author from My Surly Friend. Now that I’ve read his first book, I’m handing it to my husband to read before it’s due back at the library, because we’ll be buying the rest of Rosenfelt’s books.

Andy Carpenter is a hotshot New Jersey Lawyer who has a reputation for borderline courtroom theatrics to help his cases. He’s irreverent with authority figures and I like that quality in a main character. Andy has been asked by his former DA father to take on an appeal for a death row inmate that his father originally prosecuted. Andy reminds me of Harlan Coben’s Myron Bolitar and in fact the book jacket includes a recommendation from Coben.

In addition to his current case, Andy has a few other things going on in his life including a not-quite-ex-wife who wants to get back together, an investigator that he may or may not be in love with, his loyal golden retriever, Tara, and by the way – there’s also that huge amount of money that he never knew his Dad had . . .

I exact my revenge on Nicole by taking her to a sports bar that I’ve never been to. It’s a sign of how hard she’s trying that she doesn’t voice a complaint about the choice. The only sports Nicole tolerates are sports cars, and occasionally sports shirts. It was a problem in our marriage. One time I planted myself on the couch and watched football for so long that she came over and watered me. Tara licked it off my face and I didn’t miss a single play.
This place actually turns out to be pretty cool, with nine large-screen TVs and headphones that plug into the table so you can hear whatever game you want. Unfortunately, the only game on is a hockey game, which doesn’t interest me. I have this rule: I’m only a fan of sports in which I can pronounce 30 percent of the players’ names. I don’t think Nicole is a big hockey fan either; she glances at the screen and asks me what inning it is.

My Father used to lecture me that a trial is a serious business, not a game, but I have come to disagree. For me a trial and the investigation surrounding it is in fact a game. I turn it into one, so that I can handle and thrive in the midst of all these confrontations. In sports, every play between the participants is a confrontation, but I can deal with that because that is the purpose of the game. Once I can put trials into the same category, it becomes depersonalized and I’m home free.

This is a quick mystery with some fun humor thrown in. I’ve added all of Rosenfelt’s books to my TBR list.

Booklogged 3/31/2007 7:07 PM

You are driving me crazy with all these mystery book reviews and most of them are new-to-me! :) I want to read them all right now. I haven't read as many mysteries so far this year, but right now I'm reading one of Anne Perry's WWI mysteries. Enjoying it immensely.

Bookfool 3/31/2007 7:09 PM

Okay, I'm looking Rosenfelt up. I love legal thrillers that make me grin. :)

Lynne 4/01/2007 4:02 AM

This sounds like one I'd really enjoy. Going over to Amazon right now to put it on my wish list.

Joy 4/01/2007 6:14 AM

I put this author on my TBR list when Surly mentioned DEAD CENTER, too. Where is that Surly friend of yours anyway? I've missed her reviews!

I'm glad to know that you enjoyed his first one because that's where I'd start as well. Thanks! :)

SuziQoregon 4/01/2007 9:22 AM

Booklogged: I'm sorry (Oh, who am I kidding? No I'm not [snerk] )

Bookfool: I think you'd like it - legal mystery without lots of blood and guts.

Lynne: Blame Surly! It's her fault :-)

Joy: She said she's been reading but hasn't read much lately that she either liked or disliked enough to blog about. Sounds like the one she's reading now might show up on her blog.

Les 4/01/2007 1:10 PM

My husband read this several months ago, but I never got around to it before it was due back at the library. Once I get caught up on John Sandford's "Lucas Davenport" series, I'll have to check this one out. Thanks for the recommendation. I love Myron Bolitar!

SuziQoregon 4/01/2007 5:26 PM

Les: Always nice to find another Myron fan :-) If you like Myron, you'll probably like Andy.

Framed 4/02/2007 7:54 PM

I've never heard of this series. Sounds like my kind of mystery. Thanks for adding to the list.

SuziQoregon 4/04/2007 7:31 PM

Framed: I hadn't heard of it either till I read a review of the most recent book by
The Surly Bookseller

Bookfool 4/07/2007 5:31 PM

You know me well, Suzi. I hate blood and guts. :) I ordered a copy from PBS and it's here, already! I may have to try to slot this one in, soon.

SuziQoregon 4/07/2007 5:34 PM

Bookfool: Hope you like it. My Husband just finished it while he was traveling this week and he really liked it too.