First Degree by David Rosenfelt

>> Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Publication Date: 2003
Genre: Mystery

This is the second book in the Andy Carpenter series. Andy is still irreverent and funny. He’s got his loyal dog Tara by his side. This one opens with the death of a former cop, but he’s not someone that will be missed. Andy’s investigator and girlfriend Laurie is glad to hear Dolan is dead because he’s got a lot to do with why she’s no longer a cop. A potential client shows up at Andy’s office and tells Andy he’s the one who killed Dolan. Andy refuses to take the case mainly because the guy gives him the creeps.

I can’t say much more about the mystery or trial without giving away plot, but it’s another fun legal mystery type with more of and about Andy’s friends and staff.

I can share a few quotes that made me giggle along the way.

This is one of the reasons I like Andy – I suffer from the same addiction to sarcasm.

I mentally vow to swear off sarcasm for the duration of this case. I'm not sure if I can do it; my addiction goes way back. I wonder if they can make a sarcasm patch that I can wear to wean me off it.
Haven’t we all had meetings like this?
I leave after about a half hour, with Hobbs wishing me luck and offering to be available should I need more help in the future. I make a note to myself that if I ever want to have another completely unproductive meeeting that is a total waste of time, I will give him a call.
I think my uncle had this same medical problem

Vince snorts and points to his right knee. "Of course I'm sure. If I didn't have this trick knee, I would have been fighting commies right alongside him."

I point to his other knee. "I thought your left knee was the trick one."

He nods without embarrassment. "That's part of the trick."

Start with the first one (Open and Shut) and enjoy this series, I’m looking forward to the next one in the series.

Booklogged 5/24/2007 6:16 PM

I need the sarcasm patch, too. The trick knee had me chuckling. I think I put Open and Shut on my TBR list when you reviewed it, but I'm getting it out to check. Sounds like a fun series.

Joy 5/25/2007 1:05 PM

Yay...another winner. :)

Jan,  5/25/2007 6:18 PM

Suzi, I read Open and Shut last year; while I wasn't quite in the mood for it at the time, probably due to moving stress, I remember his sarcasm well. Although since I need a patch too I prefer to call it dry wit :-) After reading your quotes, it looks like I need to add this to the list.

SuziQoregon 5/25/2007 6:56 PM

Booklogged: Bookfool recently read and enjoyed it too.

Joy: I know you liked the one you read, so I think you'll enjoy the first two in the series too.

Jan: I can see where if you're not in the right mood, it would be just an OK book. I like my mystery heroes to be irreverent.

Robin 5/26/2007 12:53 PM

I haven't read this series, but it looks like a lot of fun! Also, I've tagged you for a short meme. No obligation, just for fun if you have the time.

MyUtopia 5/29/2007 12:18 PM

I haven't read a mystery in a long time, I think I am ready to get back into one.

Les 5/30/2007 1:55 PM

I skipped the quotes since I want to read this and Open & Shut, but had to say that I love sarcastic/dry humor. I'm currently reading Harlan Coben's The Woods and while he's usually quite funny, I think he's trying a bit too hard to be funny with this one.

SuziQoregon 5/30/2007 8:05 PM

Robin: it is a fun series.

MyUtopia: give it a try :-)

Les: Hope you enjoy the series as much as I do. I'm disappointed to hear that about Harlan Coben's latest (although it probably won't keep me from buying it.) ;-)

Bookfool 6/01/2007 4:43 PM

Oooh, jealous! I've been looking and can't find anything but Rosenfelt's most recent two books in the store. Guess I'll have to look at a swap site when I have some credits built up (I'm sadly lacking, right now). I'm so glad you enjoyed this one, too. Open and Shut was such fun. :)

SuziQoregon 6/01/2007 5:33 PM

Bookfool: hope you can find copies. I was thrilled when I found them in the used bookstore. You might check Powells.com for used copies.