Vacation Bookstore Visiting

>> Saturday, May 12, 2007

I love finding cool little independent bookstores when we travel. Last weekend we spent a few days down in Humboldt County California. Our primary purpose for the trip was the Avenue of the Giants race at Humboldt Redwoods State Park. The Hubster ran the half marathon and I walked the 10k.

6.2 miles through this is just an amazing experience.

Oh right - this is a book blog. Well, besides the race and meeting up with some friends there we had 2 other goals for the weekend. Check out some local brewpubs and and some local bookstores.

Old town Eureka is just a wonderful area. Lots of beautifully restored Victorian buildings and interesting shops.

Isn't this wonderful??

Just a few blocks away is another little booklovers haven called "The Booklegger".

I could have spent hours here

but there were brewpubs to get to.

Literary Feline 5/12/2007 10:48 AM

I love forests . . . So beautiful! I miss being surrounded by so many magnificent trees. How did I end up where I live now? Ho hum. Anyhow the bookstore photos are lovely too. They look so cozy!

Lisa 5/12/2007 3:02 PM

Oh boy. Those bookstores look GREAT. And I'm close enough to visit them!! Maybe one day soon.....

Lynne 5/13/2007 3:32 AM

I'd love to find bookstores like that. All we seem to have around her are the big chains. And one Humpus Bumpus.

SuziQoregon 5/13/2007 9:31 AM

Literary Feline: The Redwoods truly are amazing.

Lisa: If you're close enough you should definitely visit Old Town Eureka - those two stores are only a few blocks apart. Booklegger has good deals on used books. I picked up 3 from a series I recently started.

Lynne: I always look for small independent bookstores whenever we go someplace new. I've found some great places over the years.

Bookfool 5/13/2007 4:54 PM

Beautiful scenery and the bookstores look like heaven!

Les 5/13/2007 7:00 PM

What a lovely trip! I used to live just south of that forest in Redway (near Garberville)many, many years ago (1966, I believe).

Tony,  5/14/2007 10:37 AM

Next time you visit, try the Tin Can Mailman in nearby Arcata, and Ferndale Books in the Victorian Village.

Alexis Jacobs 5/14/2007 6:36 PM

Wow! Those look amazing,. Now I want to pack my bags and head west for a visit :)

SuziQoregon 5/14/2007 8:45 PM

Bookfool - I took a ton of picutures in Old Town Eureka and in Ferndale - just some gorgeous architecture. Some of them will eventually surface on Pirate Bendy's blog :-)

Les: It's beautiful country down there. My first trip to the Humboldt Redwoods was last summer. That's when we decided we were definitely registering for the races. This was the first time I'd spent time in the other towns in Humboldt county that we visited. We'll definitely go back.

Tony: I saw the Tin Can Mailman when we were in Arcata, but didn't have time to stop :-(

SuziQoregon 5/14/2007 8:48 PM

Alexis: the area is worth a visit!!!

nessie 5/16/2007 3:10 PM

OH MY GOD I am soooo jealous. no words ... can i sleep there?

Robin 5/18/2007 7:49 AM

The bookstores are wonderful!! My husband and I just returned from a trip to see the Avenue of the Giants. It was a beautiful area to visit! Next time we'll stop at the bookstores, too.

SuziQoregon 5/18/2007 7:31 PM

Nessie - pretty cool, huh?

Robin: thanks for stopping by - it's a beautiful area, isn't it?

BookCrazy,  5/27/2007 10:09 PM

Hmmm...the best locality to live in if you have such great bookstores around! I have the luxury of visiting all kinds of good and bad bookstores, but I am yet to find a classy, aesthetic, bookcrazy bookstore - where bestsellers are not everything