Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married by Marian Keyes

>> Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Published: 1996
Genre: Fiction, Humor

This one was purposely chosen because I was needing a light break from the many mysteries and non-fiction books I’ve been reading lately (and will continue to read for ongoing challenges). This was the second book by Marian Keyes that I’ve read and I have to say that I did not enjoy it as much as I did Watermelon. It served its purpose as a brain break.

Lucy Sullivan lives in London and her friends and roommates are part of the cast of characters. Lucy and 3 of her co-workers visit a fortune teller who tells Lucy that she’ll be married within a year and a half. Within a few days the other 3 friends have their predictions from the fortune-teller come true. Suddenly everyone is sure that Lucy will really be married within 18 months (including Lucy). Within a few short chapters I had narrowed down Lucy’s possible future husband down to one of two options among the characters introduced. Yes it was predictable and an offbeat combination of humor and drama. Unfortunately, it wasn’t an entirely successful venture into that style of book.

Lucy was just not likeable. I spent most of the book hoping she’d grow up and get a clue. It wasn’t enough to keep me from reading more of Marian Keyes’ books, but it’s not one I can recommend.

Literary Feline 7/31/2007 8:57 PM

I am sorry this one turned out to be a disappointment. I know what you mean though, about needing a break and reading something different.

Lynne 8/01/2007 3:40 AM

Yep, sometimes you just need that brain break. It's a shame that you didn't enjoy the break more.

Carrie K 8/01/2007 10:51 AM

Too bad you didn't enjoy your "break!" I did like Lucy Sullivan when I read it some time ago, but around Angel, gave up on Marian Keyes for a bit.

heidijane 8/01/2007 11:39 AM

I think I need some light reading at the moment, too, but I'll probably give this one a miss.

This is just to let you know that I've tagged you for the "Blogging Tips" meme. Please don't feel obliged, but I think its quite useful really...

Karen :) 8/01/2007 12:37 PM

Q, "Lucy" was an earlier one and not Marian's best. Try "Rachel's Holiday" or "Is Anybody Out There" for a better read. I also liked "The Other Side of the Story."

Joy 8/01/2007 3:18 PM

Okay...I'll pass. :)

SuziQoregon 8/01/2007 7:22 PM

Lynne: Oh well - it was a good break anyway.

Carrie: I enjoyed her first one "Watermelon" so I won't give up on her.

Heidijane: I've seen that meme making the rounds. Not sure when I'll have time, but I'll look into it.

Karen: I've got Rachel's Holiday on my shelf and that will be my next Keyes book - back to that crazy Walsh family.

Joy: trust me - you wouldn't like this one at all. And Happy Birthday to You!!

Bookfool 8/01/2007 8:20 PM

You know, I've yet to get through a Marian Keyes book and I bought several because she was so highly recommended. Watermelon is good? I wonder if I have that one. I'll have to dig.

SuziQoregon 8/01/2007 8:40 PM

Bookfool - let me put it this way - I was in the right mood when I read Watermelon. I wanted something light and a bit offbeat. I usually avoid anything in the "chick lit" section, but I did find Watermelon to be a nice brain break.

Bookfool 8/05/2007 6:41 PM

Okie-doke. I doubt I'll find my Marian Keyes books, right away. I'm pretty sure I shoved them to the back of a shelf when I fell off the chick lit bandwagon. It's fun for brain breaks, as you said, but I can't stand it as often as I used to.