Summer Mystery Reading Challenge Wrap-up

>> Monday, August 20, 2007

(Format shamelessly stolen from Nyssaneala)

The Summer Mystery Reading Challenge, sponsored by Reviewed by Liz was another fun challenge. The goal was to to read six mysteries by authors whose works you haven’t read before between June 1st and August 31st. 3 of my 6 books were also read for the Medical Mysteries Challenge and the remaining 3 were selected from my TBR list. Thanks to Liz and Bob for hosting this one.

My completed challenge books are:
Privileged Information by Stephen White
Deja Dead by Kathy Reichs
Final Diagnosis by Gary Birken
Kiss Mommy Goodbye by Joy Fielding
Isolation Ward by Joshua Spanogle
Crossroad Blues by Ace Atkins

The best book? Crossroad Blues is a moody, southern noir book with a fun new hero.

What book could I have done without? Kiss Mommy Goodbye was the biggest disappointment.

Any new authors? By definition all six challenge books were new authors for me.

Books I did not finish: I finished them all, but Kiss Mommy Goodbye was a struggle.

What did I learn? I learned I have at least 4 new authors to add to my TBR list (Stephen White, Kathy Reichs, Joshua Spanogle, and Ace Atkins) .

Bookfool 8/20/2007 8:16 PM

You're so good at challenges! I want to be like SuziQ when I grow up.

SuziQoregon 8/20/2007 8:47 PM

Bookfool: hee hee - I've learned to limit my challenges and only sign up for those that I can use at least a few books or authors that are already on my TBR list.

Susan 8/21/2007 8:34 AM

I love Kathy Reichs - glad you liked her, too. Your review made me really want to read the Ace Atkins book. Thanks for the recommendations!

Literary Feline 8/21/2007 9:45 PM

Congratulations! White and Reichs are two authors I want to try one of these days. I have their books, so I'd better! Haha

This was a fun challenge. I'm sorry to see it come to an end.

Bookfool 8/22/2007 4:42 PM

That's what I'm trying to do, also. Carl's RIP is a killer, though. I think I've got at least 11 titles piled up.

SuziQoregon 8/23/2007 7:56 PM

Susan: I'd heard so many good things about Kathy Reichs and had actually bought the book month ago. It took the challenge to get me to move it up to the top of the TBR list and I'm glad.

Literary Feline: I definitely want to read more of White's books too.

Bookfool: I was lucky - I'd been saving a few on my TBR list for Carl's challenge since earlier this year. So far they're not overlapping with any other challenges, but 3 of the 4 I'm planning to read are off my current TBR list.

Booklogged 8/24/2007 10:22 AM

I don't know if you're planning on doing the 2nds challenge, but if you do, you could read those 4 authors you listed.

All these authors are new-to-me.

SuziQoregon 8/24/2007 6:43 PM

Booklogged: I am planning on doing the 2nd challenge, but I've targeted non-mysteries for that because of just finishing up two mystery related challenges. I'm leaving non-challenge book time in my schecule and I'm sure these new authors will fit in nicely there.