I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

>> Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Published: 2002
Genre: Fiction
From the Stacks #5 , 2nds Challenge #3

I read, loved and recommended The Book Thief like crazy. I wasn’t sure that anything else by the same author could hold up, but this one was wonderful too. It’s very different from The Book Thief, but once again Zusak has written a book with its own unique atmosphere and cadence. There are so many wonderful phrases and moments in this that I could have easily flagged even more quotes than I did.

19 year old Ed Kennedy is an underage taxi driver who is a bit of a loser. He lives in a shack with a smelly old dog that was his dad’s. His mother continually berates him and tells him how he’s not as good as his brother. He spends many evenings playing cards (poorly, of course) with his friends. He’s hopelessly in love with his friend and co-worker, Audrey.

The book opens with Ed and his friends on the floor in the middle of a bank robbery. Ed becomes an unwitting hero and soon he starts receiving odd messages on playing cards. It’s difficult to explain what happens without giving away too much of the story. It’ll be much better for you to experience it right along with Ed.

I love the way Zusak writes. Nearly every page holds a gem.
Why can’t the world hear? I ask myself. Within a few moments I ask it many times. Because it doesn’t care, I finally answer, and I know I’m right. It’s like I’ve been chosen. But chosen for what? I ask.

When her hands reached out and poured the tea, it was as if she also poured something into me while I sat there sweating in my cab. It was like she held a string and pulled on it just slightly to open me up. She got in, put a piece of herself inside me, and left again.
She looks at the swings, and I can see she’s imagining what they’d look like if the kids weren’t there. The guilt of this holds her down momentarily. It appears to be there constantly. Never far away, despite her love for them.

I realize that nothing belongs to her anymore and she belongs to everything.

Sometimes people are beautiful.
Not in looks.
Not in what they say
Just in what they are.

Marg 12/13/2007 4:21 AM

I loved The Book Thief but shared your apprehension about whether anything else by him would stand up! Glad to hear that it compared favourably!

Literary Feline 12/13/2007 9:43 PM

I am glad to hear you enjoyed this one too! I hope to read The Book Thief next year. I expect to love it the way everyone's talking. Haha

Pam 12/14/2007 2:12 PM

I also loved The Book Thief. I will definitely have to read this one too.

SuziQoregon 12/14/2007 6:33 PM

Marg: I definitely recommend giving it a try. It's very different, but good in it's own right.

Literary Feline: Who knows? I know some folks haven't loved the Book Thief. Sometimes it's nice to wait till the 'buzz' dies down a bit on a popular book.

Pam: thanks for stopping by. Hope you enjoy this one.

Les 12/18/2007 4:15 AM

Oh, I'm so happy to hear this. I've been reluctant to read this one, fearing I'd be disappointed. I'll have to snag a copy at work today. Yippee for me, I got two B&N gift cards for my recent birthday!!

SuziQoregon 12/19/2007 8:05 AM

Les: hope you get a chance to read it soon and enjoy it as much as I did. Yay for getting the perfect birthday gifts!

Booklogged 12/21/2007 1:04 AM

I agree with you - Zusak is quite the author. Seems like several of us were worried about reading I Am the Messenger after reading The Book Thief. They are so different, but I loved them both.

SuziQoregon 12/22/2007 6:21 PM

Booklogged: It was your review that convinced me to put this one on the TBR list :-) THANKS!!

Charley 12/22/2007 8:20 PM

I'm in the midst of I Am The Messenger, and I'm loving it. It had me hooked from the first page, and I look forward to reading The Book Thief soon. Thanks for the review.

SuziQoregon 12/23/2007 2:58 PM

Charley: Glad you're enjoying it too. Hope you like The Book Thief when you get a chance to read it.

Anonymous,  6/08/2008 9:19 PM

I bought The Book Thief last year only because my name is Liesl. I'm sooo glad, because it is my absolute favorite book, and I Am the Messenger is a close second.
I just can't get enough of Zusak's style of writing!