The Monkey’s Raincoat by Robert Crais

>> Monday, January 28, 2008

Series: # 1 in the Elvis Cole Series
Genre: Mystery
Publication Date: 1987
What’s in a Name Challenge #2 (Animal), A-Z Reading #7 (M Title)

This was my first book by Robert Crais and although I’ve heard that his later books are better, I wasn’t disappointed in this one at all. For a first novel, it was good enough to keep me thoroughly entertained and to want to read more of the series. Thanks go to
Literary Feline because it was her review of this one that made me add it to my TBR list.

Elvis Cole is a private detective in L.A. He’s my favorite type of mystery series protagonist – smart, sarcastic, with no patience for authority figures, and loyal as can be to his friends no matter how frightening (Joe Pike) they may be. The fact that he has a cat who likes beer is a bonus – our late sainted gray ball of fur used to drink beer, but she only liked the good microbrews.

The story begins with Ellen Lang and her friend seeking Elvis Cole’s help to find Ellen’s missing husband and son. Of course it ends up being way more complicated than a missing person and possible abducted child. Elvis and his mysterious partner Joe Pike end up in a near urban war involving drugs, the mafia and a retired bullfighter. Bloody, but fun, and I’m adding the rest of this series to my TBR list.

Literary Feline 1/28/2008 8:58 PM

I am glad you enjoyed this one. :-) I haven't managed to read any further in the series, but I definitely plan to. Great review!

Kay 1/29/2008 7:01 AM

I've heard good things about this series too. I keep meaning to read it. However, it is funny, I do have a tendency to read more books written by women. That even carries over into the mysteries that I read. Not sure exactly why I do that. Just do.

SuziQoregon 1/29/2008 7:47 AM

Literary Feline: thanks for the recommendation - I enjoyed it and am adding the rest of the series to my TBR list.

Kay: I've heard that even the author recommends on his website to start with later books in the series, but knowing this was an early effort didn't keep me from enjoying it at all.

Joy 1/29/2008 8:58 AM

So glad you liked it! :)

Vickie 1/29/2008 10:50 AM

LOVED this one! Like you, I've read Crais before. It was nice to see the beginning. Yes, it was a little rough compared to later in the series, but it was a good rough.

SuziQoregon 1/29/2008 6:56 PM

Joy: thanks I'm looking forward to more.

Vickie: this was actually my first by Crais - I hear the later ones are better, but I was thoroughly entertained by this one.

Carrie K 1/30/2008 12:45 PM

The later ones are better? That's what he says? I enjoyed the first ones more. Elvis Cole and Joe Pike are quite a team though.

Bookfool 1/30/2008 6:30 PM

Suzi,

I'm with Carrie; I thought the earlier books in the series were better. It seemed like the series got a little darker with each installment and I liked the lighter touch. The Monkey's Raincoat is still on my shelf, I liked it so much.

Bookfool 1/30/2008 6:31 PM

BTW, everyone seems to be reading The House at Riverton. Is that an ARC or just a popular title?

SuziQoregon 1/30/2008 6:59 PM

Carrie and Bookfool - thanks for your perspective - I had to start with this one because I'm really super picky about starting a series at the beginning, but yes, on the author's website he recommends beginning with L.A. Requiem.

(whatever - I had to begin at the beginning)

Bookfool: I have an ARC of The House at Riverton to review for Bookbrowse in the next month. I think the US publication date is April (altough it was published in the UK in 2006).

Teddy Rose 1/31/2008 9:00 PM

Hey SuziQ,

I just tagged you for a book meme, if you have the time.

Teddy

Paula 2/01/2008 7:26 AM

I keep seeing this series everywhere but have yet to read one. I think it's time to pick them up. Good review. I found my way here through the What's In A Name challenge site.

Framed 2/02/2008 8:40 PM

I've never read anything by Crais and this looks really good. Time to pull out the TBR list.

SuziQoregon 2/04/2008 7:54 PM

TeddyRose: thanks, but I'm not much of a Meme person. I'm lucky to have time to get blog posts about my books done ;-)

Paula: Thanks for stopping in. I was glad to have the What's in a Name challenge give me an excuse to read this one.

Framed: I enjoyed this one - give it a try.