From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg

>> Thursday, February 28, 2008

Genre: Juvenile Fiction
Publication Date: 1967
Heart of a Child Challenge #1

I remember reading this book several times when I was a kid. Several of my fellow bloggers have read it over the past couple of years and every one of their posts made me want to pick it up again. I wasn’t sure if I’d enjoy it as much as an adult as I did as a kid, but decided to give it a re-read.

Claudia is a Connecticut 12 year old who decides to run away temporarily so that her family will have the chance to learn some “Claudia appreciation”. Oh could I ever relate to that as a kid. Anyway, rather than simply run away from home, Claudia plans to run away TO somewhere. That somewhere has to be beautiful and indoors, so she chooses The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. Claudia also takes her younger brother Jamie along with her (partly for company and partly for his money).

This book is still an enjoyable read. I could relate to both Claudia and Jamie at different times. Yes, the runaway and hide in the museum storyline is even more unrealistic than it was in 1967, but it’s still a fun adventure to think and read about. I really think that the mystery of the Angel statue in this book may have been the beginnings of my lifelong love of mystery stories.

Kay 2/28/2008 8:50 PM

I love this book. Think I read it to my daughter when she was young. I should pick it up again sometime.

Jeane 2/29/2008 7:27 PM

I really enjoyed this book myself. I loved how they fished coins out of the fountain! Those kids were pretty ingenious.

Carrie 3/01/2008 8:24 AM

I JUST picked up a copy of this book, having never read it. The back description just looked like it could be a lot of fun. Glad to know you enjoyed it again. =) Thanks for your review! I can't wait to get to it!

Carrie K. 3/01/2008 9:53 AM

This was one of my favorites growing up - and I read it to my daughter last year, and we both loved it ust as much as I did back then.

Amanda 3/01/2008 12:47 PM

You make ME want to read this again! I loved it when I was younger, but haven't read it in probably 13 or 14 years!

Darla D 3/01/2008 1:32 PM

This is one of my favorites from when I was a kid - and I recently had the pleasure of reading it to my OWN kids. They enjoyed it as much as I did!

SuziQoregon 3/01/2008 3:37 PM

Kay: I was pleasantly surprised to find I still enjoyed it so much. Still think the illustrations are awful, though.

Jeane: Jamie cracked me up - he's so literal minded and Claudia is such a dreamer.

Carrie: Oh - I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of it.

Carrie K.: I'm glad to hear that kids are still enjoying this one.

Amanda: That's exactly the way I was - get it from the library - it's quick - I read it in one day.

Darla: I love hearing how many folks remember this being a favorite from their childhood, and that kids are still enjoying it.

Framed 3/01/2008 6:31 PM

I have this book listed on several challenges. I like Konigsburg so I'm sure I will like this one as well.

SuziQoregon 3/02/2008 8:55 AM

Framed: I'll be looking forward to reading your comments. Did you read it as a kid or will this be your first time reading it?

Bookfool 3/02/2008 11:52 AM

I loved this book as a child and enjoyed it, again, as an adult. Both my kids loved it, too.

Teddy Rose 3/02/2008 4:12 PM

Thanks for the review! I've never heard of this book, but it sounds really good. I just added it to my TBR.

SuziQoregon 3/02/2008 7:58 PM

Bookfool: :-) Yay - for us having yet another book in common. Love that your kids loved it too.

Teddy Rose: cool - I'll be looking forward to hearing what you think.

Vickie 3/03/2008 9:31 AM

O..M..G!!! I LOVED this book when I was a kid!!! I could never remember the title or author, so don't know how I kept finding it, but I had it read to me in class (cannot remember what grade) and then I read it for myself so many times. THANK YOU!

SuziQoregon 3/05/2008 6:30 PM

Vickie: Oh defintely read it again - I really think that if you loved it as a child you'll enjoy a re-read.

emmegail 5/22/2008 1:15 PM

I just finished this book for the first time and enjoyed reading your review! I'm counting it in the Initials Reading Challenge. I loved the part where they almost get caught by their classmates. =)

SuziQoregon 5/22/2008 7:27 PM

Emmegail: I loved that part too!!