Audiobook – The Deeds of the Disturber by Elizabeth Peters

>> Friday, August 29, 2008

Series: #5 in the Amelia Peabody Series
Genre: Mystery
Publication Date: 1988
Read by: Barbara Rosenblat

I really enjoy listening to this series. The editions of the first four I listened to were read by Susan O’Malley, I’m now listening to Barbara Rosenblat. They are both very good readers of this series, but I just love Barbara Rosenblat.

In this installment of the series the action takes place in England during the summer break that Archeologists Amelia and Emerson typically take between seasons in Egypt. The mystery still involves Egyptology and a mummy, but this time it’s one in the British Museum. Some of the returning characters are there, as well as some new ones. Amelia’s brother manages to dump his two children on Amelia and Emerson for the summer. This creates a humorous sideplot with their son Ramses. Ramses is getting a bit less annoying to me as he gets older.

Once again, Amelia is her usual somewhat smug and always entertaining self. She’s firmly feminist in the Victorian age. The books are written as if a journal by Amelia and some of her asides she slips in just make me giggle.

DebD 8/30/2008 5:21 AM

I listened to the first book in this series on tape and enjoyed it quite a bit. I haven't taken the time to listen to anymore.

I also love Barbara Rosenblat's readings of just about any of the books I've heard her do. I most especially loved her doing the Mrs. Pollifax series.

Kristen DeDeyn Kirk 8/30/2008 5:33 AM

It's nice to hear of a mystery with lots of humor. I'm curious -- what are the pros and cons of listening to a book versus reading it? I can only seem to listen when I'm driving in a car. Otherwise, I'm tempted to get up and do something.

Kristen at www.thefamilythatreadstogether.blogspot.com

Kay 8/30/2008 6:42 AM

Aren't these great? I love Barbara Rosenblat and could probably listen to her read her grocery list. Amelia Peabody Emerson is one of my favorite heroines!

Framed 8/30/2008 11:04 AM

I'll bet these are fun to listen to. It's been so long since I rfead them that I should be ready to visit them again. PS. Ramses just keeps getting better.

Marg 8/30/2008 9:09 PM

It's been a few books since I listened to an audio version of an Amelia Peabody book but I can still clearly here Barbara Rosenblat's voice in my head. She does a great job of narrating these books.

samantha.1020 8/31/2008 9:03 AM

I've been wanting to read this series for awhile but other books keep getting in the way. LOL!

SuziQoregon 9/02/2008 8:27 PM

Debd: I listened to all of the Mrs. Pollifax books read by Barbara Rosenblat - she made them fun.

Kristen: The only time I do listen is when I'm in the car by myself. I typically choose light mysteries - for me they lend themselves well to listening in 10 - 15 minute increments.

Kay: I've told people that I could probably listen to Barbara Rosenblat read the phone book and be entertained.

Framed: they ARE fun to listen to. Thanks for the encouragement about Ramses. I remember when I was complaining about him a few books ago you told me to stick with the series, he'd get less annoying and you were right.

Marg: The first few books were only available from my library on CD read by Susan O'Malley - she's good, but I like Barbara Rosenblat better.

Samantha: Oh, give them a try!

Nan 9/10/2008 1:21 PM

Oh, I love Barbara R. too. I've listened to the entire series (and the Mrs Pollifax series) with her reading, and honestly I feel like she is Amelia (and Emily). What a gift she has. Wait a few books until Ramses is a teen and older. :<) I found you via Kay's bloglist.

SuziQoregon 9/11/2008 10:21 AM

Nan: thanks for stopping by. I agree - Barbara really IS Emily Pollifax to me. This is the first time I've heard her read Amelia, but I'm hoping to get the rest of the series as read by her.