Trinity by Leon Uris

>> Friday, November 28, 2008

Genre: Historical Fiction
Publication Date: 1976
Decades 08 #12 (1970’s), Chunkster Challenge 2008 #4

I love big fat chunky historical fiction. I love books with maps. I love books that inspire me to head to google to start looking up more information about the time period or place described in the book. This book was all those things and more and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

This has been hanging around on the fringes of my TBR list for ages. I think it finally jumped to the more active section of that list when I read the review at
Framed and Booked last year. Written in the 1970’s when the hostilities in Northern Ireland were all over the news, this book takes a step back nearly a century from that time to look at another phase in the life cycle of that longstanding conflict.

Beginning in 1885 young Conor Larkin and his friend Seamus O’Neill are introduced as young boys living in a small town of Ballyutogue. Even then, the town is divided into their poor Catholic section and the more affluent Protestant section. The book follows many characters, but the primary protagonist is Conor Larkin. The conflicts between the Irish people and the British, the Protestants and the Catholics, the aristocracy and the working class all form the background and stage of this saga. Conor and Seamus hear the history of their families from the local storyteller, then go on to become part of the fight for freedom from British control.

The story follows Conor and two other families (one of British aristocrats and one of Scottish Protestants) as they interact and work both with and against each other to pursue their conflicting goals for Ireland. This book held my attention and kept me heading to my computer to look up more background information.

Obviously the violence in Ireland outlasts the ending of this book, but it gives an interesting look at some of the history of the conflict and helped me understand some of the background to what I saw on the news from Belfast when I was growing up.

Lynne 11/28/2008 12:22 PM

I'll be looking for this one - anything Irish does it for me. Sounds like a really interesting book.

I love books that make me want to learn more.

Lexi 11/28/2008 3:59 PM

This book is on my list to be read, hopefully, within the next year. Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

Mary 11/28/2008 5:32 PM

I'm so glad you liked it. It's been on my Top 5 Favorite Books list since I read it many years ago. I'll probably read it again in the next couple of years.

Framed 11/29/2008 10:59 AM

Loved your review. I'm so glad you enjoyed this book. It is one of my favorites.

Carrie K. 11/29/2008 12:14 PM

This is one of my all-time favorite books.

Booklogged 11/29/2008 9:34 PM

I've wanted to read this book for ages. Two reasons: Framed recommended it and I want to read something by Leon Uris because I've heard wonderful things about him but haven't read anything by him yet.

Karen :) 11/30/2008 5:50 AM

Adding this one to my TBR list!

Wendy 11/30/2008 9:04 AM

Suzi: Oh how I adored this book when I read it many years ago! Leon Uris was a very talented writer. One of my favorite books by him is Mila 18 which is set in the Warsaw ghetto during WWII.

joanna 12/01/2008 5:22 AM

Anything Irish appeals to me too so I'll definitely be getting this - thanks for bringing it to our attention!

Nicola 12/01/2008 9:25 AM

I've always wanted to read something by Uris and this one sounds especially appealing but I have to say that books over 500 pgs make me nervous.

SuziQoregon 12/01/2008 12:28 PM

Lynne: I think you'll like this one.

Lexi: Hope you enjoy it when you get to it.

Mary: I remember you mentioning it as one you'd liked. I've passed it on to The Hubster and I think he's going to read it next.

Framed: thanks for making me move this up and put it on a couple of challenge lists so I'd finally read it.

Carrie: I think it's going to be one of my all time favorites too.

Booklogged: Read it. You won't be sorry.

Karen: Oh I think you'll like it too.

Wendy: I really can't believe I haven't read this till now. I'll have to look for Mila 18. Thanks for the tip.

Joanna: Hope you like it.

Nicola: I know the chunksters don't work for some folks. This one is divided up into sections that you could really take as smaller books within the book. Take breaks between the sections to read something else??

Teddy Rose 12/01/2008 9:38 PM

I've seen this book before. I'm pretty sure that it was on my fathers nightstand when I was a child. Dad tended to read a lot of war books, so this one was off my radar. With your review, I added it to my TBR.

SuziQoregon 12/03/2008 10:38 AM

TeddyRose: I'm predicting that you will love this book.