A Cedar Cove Christmas by Debbie Macomber

>> Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Series: related to the Cedar Cove series
Genre: Fiction
Publication Date: 2008
Challenges: None

Debbie Macomber releases a Christmas book every year. This year it’s related to, but not technically part of her Cedar Cove series. 8 Sandpiper Way ends just before Christmas and this book picks up right where that one left off.

It’s a fun retelling of the Nativity story in Cedar Cove. Mary Jo Wyse is very pregnant and looking to get in touch with her baby’s father, David Rhodes. David told her he’d be spending Christmas in Cedar Cove with his parents. Readers of the series will know that David is certainly not a man to be trusted, but when Mary Jo shows up in town on Christmas Eve, she manages to meet up with the kinder residents of town.

Mary learns that David is not in town (no big surprise) but it’s too late to get back home to Seattle and there’s not a hotel room to be had. With ‘no room at the inn’, Mary Jo finds herself staying in the apartment over Cliff and Grace Harding’s barn. Downstairs in the stalls are the animals that the Hardings are housing temporarily for the town’s live Nativity scene, including a camel and a donkey.

The story is rounded out with Mary’s three brothers (the 3 Wyse Men) driving to Cedar Cove to find Mary and of course, Mary goes into labor on Christmas Eve.

Fun to read during my holiday vacation and I managed to finish it up late on New Year’s Eve for my last book of 2008.

Red lady-Bonnie 1/01/2009 11:02 AM

Happy New Year Suzi! This sounds like the perfect book to end the year with. I do want to get caught up in this series this year. Thanks for your great review.

Kay 1/01/2009 2:15 PM

I finished the #7 Cedar Cove book a few days ago. Have #8 and also this one, but may save this one for next year.

Happy New Year!

Kailana 1/01/2009 6:13 PM

Happy New Year!

I didn't read all the Christmas books that I wanted to this year. That pile should get smaller but it never seems to!

Mary 1/02/2009 3:44 PM

It was a cute story. I think we'll be seeing Mary Jo again in a future Cedar Cove book.

Happy New Year

SuziQoregon 1/02/2009 6:29 PM

Bonnie: it really did work out perfectly for me to read 8 Sandpiper Way and this one right at Christmas time.

Kay: if you don't mind waiting - reading #8 and this one during the holidays is something I'd recommend.

Kailana: I don't read that many Christmas books, but I was glad I read this one this year.

Mary: Oh definitely!!

Anne Bradshaw. 1/08/2009 5:56 AM

Happy New Year to you--and by the way, there's a new book contest running on my blog this week, in case you're interested. It's a good one :-)