The Chunkster Challenge Completed

>> Wednesday, December 3, 2008

This challenge was pretty much a no-brainer for me. I love big fat chunky books. I remember when I was a kid I’d go to the library and browse the shelves for the fat books. I think that’s what helped develop my liking for biographies and historical fiction

Dana hosted this year’s version of THE CHUNKSTER CHALLENGE 2008

These were the guidelines:
To qualify the book must be 450 pps regular type OR 750 pps large text.
You must read FOUR chunksters (one each quarter), you OBVIOUSLY may read more
The Challenge will run Jan 7th, 2008 - Dec 20th, 2008 . . . BUT any chunkster started after Jan 1 qualifies.

I listed 6 books to read for this challenge. I’ve actually read 12 books so far this year that were longer than 450 pages, (and have at least one and maybe two more before the year is out) but I’ll post the ones I had specified to read for the challenge here.

• Faithless by Karin Slaughter – book # 5 in her Grant County series. It’s a brutal but well written series that I continue to enjoy despite the cringeworthy aspects and one character that I really don’t like at all.
  • Dr. Zhivago by Boris Pasternak - a classic that I’d never read (nor have I seen any movie version). I thoroughly enjoyed it. A great wintertime read.
  • Peter the Great by Robert Massie - a huge sweeping biography of a fascinating man.
  • Black Wind by Clive and Dirk Cussler – another one of my brain candy series.
  • The Agony and the Ecstasy by Irving Stone - Biographical fiction about Michelangelo and his work.
  • Trinity by Leon Uris - big fat chunky historical fiction about Ireland in the late 1800’s to early 1900’s

Thanks Dana – this was an easy challenge for me to complete. I appreciate you taking it on and hosting it this yearl

Lynne 12/03/2008 6:09 AM

I love big fat books too. I've added TRINITY to my wish list based on your review!

Vickie 12/03/2008 10:26 AM

Congrats! I decided I'd completed the Chunkster Challenge, too, yesterday. I was starting to hyperventilate a wee bit thinking about unfinished challenges this year. Decided I'd completed First in Series and Chunkster Challenges to my satisfaction. Now to finish A-Z Challenge...

SuziQoregon 12/03/2008 10:43 AM

Lynne: Oh I think you'll really enjoy Trinity.

Vickie: I've only got a few more books to finish up my last two 2008 challenges. Next year I'm limiting it to a handful of favorite challenges.

Bookfool 12/03/2008 1:18 PM

You're really good with fat books. Congrats on finishing! I'm curious what happened to Dana. She hasn't posted since January of 2008, unless she has another blog.

Les 12/03/2008 4:23 PM

Congratulations!! It would've taken me two years to read those six books! I'm such a book slug these days. Too busy playing on my photoblog. :) I will have to get to one this coming year though -- I still have World Without End (Ken Follett) in my stacks since LAST Christmas. Sigh.

Mary 12/04/2008 2:54 AM

You've read some wonderful books this year.

One thing about Trinity - for some reason I had a tough time getting into it, took about 75-100 pages to not want to put it down. I'm glad I didn't use my usual 50 page rule because (as I've mentioned before) Trinity is on my all time Top 5 favorite books list.

SuziQoregon 12/04/2008 12:20 PM

Bookfool: I went hunting for Dana and found a home page here with links to several blogs including her book blog.

Les: But your photoblog is SO cool and fun.

Mary: I agree about Trinity, it didn't grab me right away, but I loved it. The Hubster started it yesterday.

Mary 12/05/2008 2:17 PM

My husband read it after I finished. It was on a family vacation to Colorado. I drove and he read the whole way back home. We got home on a beautiful summer afternoon and he still had a chapter to go. So while the kids and I unloaded the car I sent him to the patio to finish the book. He still says its one of the best books he's read.