The Idiot Girls’Action-Adventure Club by Laurie Notaro

>> Monday, December 1, 2008

Genre: Humor/ Essays
Publication Date: 2002
A-Z Reading #49 (N Author)

Laurie Notaro used to write a humor column for an Arizona Newspaper. This collection of essays wasn’t as funny as some of the reviews indicated it might be, but it was a quick reading in short 3-5 page stories that was perfect for my holiday weekend reading which only occurred in short bursts.

I wanted this to make me laugh more than it did. About the best I could do was an occasional smirk or giggle. The 39 chapters were too heavy on the retelling of drunken exploits for my taste. I only finished it because it was such a quick read and every time I almost put it aside I came across a chapter that I thought was truly funny. The revenge on the date who stood her up was perfect and the chapter on Public bathroom etiquette was one of the few that did make me laugh.

Overall my feeling is ‘meh’ and I’m glad I got this from the library instead of buying it.

Jena 12/02/2008 12:06 AM

I picked up at ARC of this at a used bookstore once upon a time, but never got around to reading it, and when I was culling my shelves for the move to Canada (I think I gave away over 200 books), it was one of the first to go. Not being a fan of reading about drunken exploits, I'm rather glad I made that call.

Bookfool 12/02/2008 4:52 PM

I'm pretty sure I've got a copy of this one, somewhere. Meh is not a great recommendation. I was hoping it would make me laugh out loud. Darn.

SuziQoregon 12/03/2008 10:40 AM

Jena: good call.

Bookfool: OK - so if you have it already read these two chapters:
- "This is a Public Service Announcement"
- "Men are Stupid and I Rock (Ode to Dorothy Parker)"
Then put it in the Goodwill pile.

Jenny Simpson,  12/04/2008 8:00 AM

I didn't really care too much about this book either she was very negative about herself. Glad I wasn't the only one.

SuziQoregon 12/04/2008 1:53 PM

Jenny: you're definitely not the only one ;-)

Lisa 12/05/2008 3:03 PM

I had the same reaction. Actually, I'm not sure this is the same one I read as all her titles are similar, but I was very underwhelmed by it. I thought it was repetitive, and nothing I'd want to talking about in an almost bragging manner.

Mercy's Maid 12/06/2008 9:28 AM

My feeling about it was "meh" also. I wanted to like it a lot more than I did.

samantha.1020 12/07/2008 12:35 PM

I haven't read anything by this author but have heard that she is funny. I'll definitely wait and check her out from the library though :)

SuziQoregon 12/11/2008 9:37 AM

Lisa: I love her titles, but repetitive is a good description.

Mercy's Maid: me too!

Samantha: A lot of folks think it's laugh out loud hilarious, and clearly there's a bunch here like me who don't. Humor is a tough genre. I think the library is a good plan if you haven't read any of her stuff before.