The Woods by Harlan Coben

>> Thursday, February 26, 2009

Genre: Suspense/Thriller/Mystery
Publication Date: 2007
Challenges: none

I’ve loved Harlan Coben’s books since I picked up the first Myron Bolitar books several years ago. I really missed Myron when he started writing standalone thrillers, but the thrillers have just been such fun that I’ve remained a fan.

The Woods is several stories in one. There is the mystery of what happened in the woods at a summer camp twenty years ago: six teenagers out in the woods after hours, two bodies found, two missing, and two who may or may not have told the truth about what happened. There is the current courtroom drama: privileged fraternity boys accused of raping a stripper who had been invited to a party at the house. The prosecutor in that case is Paul Copeland who just happens to be one of the teens who didn’t die or disappear that night in the woods twenty years ago. His sister was never seen again after that night. Is she dead? Is she alive? What about the murdered man in New York who may be connected to Paul and the summer camp case?

Throw in many many secrets, and lots of intertwining storylines and you get a book that I read in one day thanks to a long flight and lots of time waiting for taxis, planes and luggage. It was another great vacation read.

Booklogged 2/26/2009 7:16 PM

I've heard good things about Coben, but haven't read anything by him. Glad you made it home safely and so relaxed.

Kay 2/27/2009 1:02 PM

Again, nice review. I love his Myron/Win series. Did you know a new one will come out soon? Not sure how much the author has changed since he began writing stand-alones. We'll see. I've missed Myron and Win though.

SuziQoregon 2/28/2009 8:50 AM

Booklogged: oh you would really like Coben's books!!

Kay: there's a new Myron/Win book coming? Yay!!

Les 2/28/2009 12:49 PM

And guess who's coming back on March 31st?!!!!! Myron!!!! Coben has a new book due out called Long Lost. I. Can. Not. Wait. :)

Les 2/28/2009 12:49 PM

Ooops. Just read your response to Kay and see that you already know this. :)

samantha.1020 3/01/2009 12:03 PM

I've enjoyed all of the Coben books that I have read so far. He is a very talented author and always keeps me on my toes.

SuziQoregon 3/02/2009 6:40 PM

Les: Woo Hoo - I love Myron and Win (as well as the rest of the gang)

Samantha: He's definitely one of the authors that both The Hubster and I enjoy.

Framed 3/03/2009 8:33 PM

This book was my first Coben experience. I listened to it on a driving trip and decided that this was an author I would read more of. A very interesting mystery with great twists.

SuziQoregon 3/04/2009 11:27 AM

Framed: I have really enjoyed all of his books. The standalones tend to be more straight up thrillers or suspense, but the Myron Bolitar series has some fun sarcastic humor along with the mystery and they're just fun.