Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris

>> Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Genre: Mystery / Vampire
Series: #1 in the Sookie Stackhouse series
Publication Date: 2001
Sookie Stackhouse Reading Challenge #1

I was pretty sure I would enjoy this book and I did. I’ve had enough friends whose reading tastes I share say they thought these books were just fun, that I had already decided I wanted to read the series (or at least start it). I have to thank
BethFishReads for giving me a bit of a kick in the tush to actually pick up the first and get on with it, though.

When she started the Sookie Stackhouse reading challenge to read all 9 books in the series between now and the end of next June, I just had to join in. I may not read them all, but knowing I can space them out and not read back to back will help. I have a hard time reading too many of a series too close together.

Now that I’ve finished the first book I’m so very glad I did. It’s got a little bit of mystery, a little bit of romance, a little bit of vampires (and other ‘disabilities’ as Sookie describes her mindreading ablitty/curse) and also a little bit of southern charm.

Sookie is a small town bar waitress who would just love to meet an actual vampire now that they’ve ‘come out of the coffin’ and started co-existing with humans. Then, this vampire walks into her bar and well, things get complicated and quickly. Bill and Sookie seem to connect right away, but there’s that whole ‘he’s a vampire’ complication. Then, single young women in town start getting killed and that’s just the beginning of the further complications.

It’s just an intriguing and fun combination and I had a great time reading this book. Hope the rest of the series is just as fun.

Rating: 4/5

Framed 7/15/2009 9:03 PM

I have a book by Harris sitting on the shelf but I think it's from a different series. I hope I like it as well as you did this one.

Literary Feline 7/15/2009 11:00 PM

I've enjoyed reading this series quite a bit. I recently read the 9th book in the series, and while it wasn't my favorite, it was still entertaining. I never tire of spending time with Sookie and friends. I am glad you liked the first book in the series.

Kailana 7/16/2009 2:35 AM

I read like book three in this series and got through it okay, but I tried to read book one and couldn't get into it at all. So, this series is stalled for me at the moment.

Karen :) 7/16/2009 6:02 AM

I have read all of these and just loved them! Perfect mindless entertainment!

SuziQoregon 7/16/2009 9:27 AM

Framed: I know she's got at least one other series she writes, but I don't know much about it.

Literary Feline: It's just a fun series, I'm glad to have had the push to start.

Kailana: Some series are like that for me too - other folks love 'em, but I don't click with them. Good thing there are plenty of other series out there, huh?

Karen: I remember seeing your ratings for them on Goodreads. That's one of the reasons I was pretty sure I'd like them.

Vickie 7/16/2009 7:01 PM

I have the series in audio and they are even better that way. I love watching the show on HBO, too. DH likes listening to the books on our commutes. I think we're taking them on our drive to Virginia in October.
Glad you enjoyed your intro into Sookie's world. It gets better...

SuziQoregon 7/20/2009 7:35 AM

Vickie: Oh I bet they're fun on audio. I may see about doing that for some of them.