The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

>> Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan
Genre: YA Fiction
Publication Date: 2009
Support Your Local Library Challenge #46

I read this one because several people I know really loved it. See
Heather’s Review at The Capricious Reader for the one that convinced me to read it.

Mary is a teenager who lives in an isolated village surrounded by a strong fence to separate it from the forest. In the forest live the “Unconsecrated” who are flesh eating zombies. The villagers live according to strict guidelines administered by the mysterious nun-like members of “The Sisterhood”. The Sisterhood and their associate group of Guardians see to the physical and religious protection of the villagers from the Unconsecrated. When the fence is breached and the village invaded, Mary is among a group who escape. But is there any place to go? The Sisterhood has led the villagers to believe that they are the only survivors left uninfected by the Unconsecrated. Mary doesn’t believe this. The stories her mother told her as a child and things she’s seen recently make her doubt many of the so called truths her friends hold to be unquestionable.

This story is an interesting combination of futuristic dystopian and somewhat historic religious (along the lines of early Puritan America) elements.

Anyway, although the story was interesting and entertaining enough, I just never felt like it reached out and grabbed me. If it hadn’t been for the high praise from many other readers, I would likely have given up and not finished it. I did stick with it but never really loved it. I found it to be rather repetitious. I kept thinking I just read this same scene or description a few pages back. I felt like some potentially interesting storylines were kind of dropped or never really played out fully. All in all it was OK, but not great.

Rating 2.5/5

Heather 10/01/2009 4:40 AM

Aww, I'm sorry you didn't love it as much as I did! Different strokes, eh? Hopefully the next book I convince you to read will be much better for you! ;)

Lawral the Librarian 10/01/2009 6:41 AM
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lawral the Librarian 10/01/2009 6:42 AM

I recently read this too, and I couldn't quite put my finger on what bothered me about it. I did like it a lot, but it wasn't the full-out awesomeness I had expected given the reviews I've read.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the repititious descriptions/scenarios. Hopefully there will be less of that in the next book and more explanation of some of the storylines that were dropped in the beginning.

Beth F 10/01/2009 7:31 AM

I'm sorry you didn't love it. I wonder if I loved it because the audio was so great. But I liked some of the issues, which I hope will be explored in the next books: religion, free will, feminism, government reactions to disasters.

Nicole 10/01/2009 5:18 PM

I haven't been able to read this one because zombies just gross me out way too much!

Bookfool 10/01/2009 6:55 PM

I bought this one on impulse, so I hope I like it better than you did (but I kind of doubt I will -- you have excellent taste, after all).

Kailana 10/03/2009 7:02 AM

I am sorry to see that you didn't like this one, but I can see it! It's totally not everyones book...

SuziQoregon 10/06/2009 9:03 PM

Heather: Oh well - different strokes is right. You're still high on my recommendations list ;-)

Lawral: I agree - it wasn't the awesomeness I expected. I'm glad you validated my feelings about parts being repetitive. I'll likely read the next book to see if some of the dropped storylines are expanded upon.

Beth: Maybe I'll listen to her next one. Sounds like the audio might have been better. Who was the reader?

Nicole: I don't mind the zombies. I've read enough gruesome murder mysteries to not make that an issue. I can see where they could be nightmare inducing, however.

Bookfool: I hope you like it. I seem to be in the minority on this one.

Kailana: Just not my thing I guess. Oh well, they can't all be winners.

nat @book, line, and sinker 10/12/2009 11:00 AM

i'm with beth--sometimes ho-hum books become great when they are audio books! seriously, the audio adds another dimension for me. or maybe it's just because i loved being read to as a kid? :)

sorry this wasn't a great read for you...

SuziQoregon 10/20/2009 6:16 PM

Nat: I agree - there are some books that I purposely opt to listen to because I know I'll enjoy them more that way.