Living Dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris

>> Saturday, September 5, 2009

Genre: Mystery / Vampire
Series: #2 in the Sookie Stackhouse series
Publication Date: 2002
Sookie Stackhouse Reading Challenge #2

I enjoyed this second book in the Sookie Stackhouse series even more than the first. With the major characters established in the first book, the story pretty much just takes off and runs from the beginning in this one.

Sookie and Bill (her vampire boyfriend) travel to Dallas. The vampires need Sookie’s telepathic abilities to help investigate the case of a missing and possibly abducted vampire. At the same time, a co-worker of Sookie’s is found dead in a car in the parking lot of Merlotte’s (the bar where Sookie works). Sookie is pretty sure the owner of the car is innocent of the murder since she had called his sister to take him home from the bar and that’s why his car was left in the lot overnight.

Vampires, shapeshifters, and other supernatural creatures as well as at least one other human with the same telepathic “disability’ as Sookie are all a part of the story. In addition to the simultaneous investigations of the murder and the missing vampire, the book introduces more information about the vampire culture and its complex politics and traditions.

I’m enjoying this series a lot. I like the combination of mystery, romance, supernatural creatures, vampire lore, and a handful of comic relief tossed in here and there.

Rating 4/5

Allison 9/05/2009 5:07 PM

I can't watch season 2 of True Blood until I read this book. Glad to hear you liked this better than the second one. Can't wait to read it.

Karen :) 9/05/2009 10:28 PM

I love this whole series! I think this particular one was one of my favorites.

Kailana 9/06/2009 8:38 AM

I am not having a lot of success getting into this series. I will hav to try again one of these days!

Mindi 9/06/2009 9:29 AM

I have loved this series. Each book gets better and better.

Literary Feline 9/07/2009 7:04 PM

I am glad you are continuing to enjoy this series. It's definitely one of my favorites.

Bookfool 9/08/2009 6:38 PM

I have a feeling I'd enjoy these, but for some reason I can't talk myself into reading them. Huh.

SuziQoregon 9/08/2009 7:40 PM

Alison: Since it'll be a long time before The Hubster and I get around to watching True Blood (via DVD) I don't have to worry about that. Read this one soon - it's fun!

Karen: your Goodreads ratings are one of the reasons I even signed up for this challenge.

Kailana: I usually avoid vampire stuff, but for some reason this is turning out to be just fun for me. I don't think The Hubster would like it at all. Don't feel obligated to like it.

Mindi: Oh that's good to know - thanks!

Literary Feline: I'm actually surprised I'm liking, I usually avoid Vampire stuff. I overdosed on Anne Rice when I was in college.

Bookfool: Oh I think you'd like them a lot. One of these days you really should give at least the first one a try.

Bookfool 9/14/2009 9:40 AM

Okay. But, just because you said so. :)