Baby Sea Turtles!!

>> Friday, March 9, 2012

This is a photo heavy post but it was an amazing experience so I'm going to share a bunch of them. Click on the photos to see them full size and then use your browser's back button to return to the post.

When we were on vacation in Mexico we happened to be lucky enough to participate in releasing baby sea turtles on the beach to make their way to the water.

and they're off . . .

The beach at the hotel where we stayed is a nesting ground for the endangered Olive Ridley Sea Turtle. They collect and protect the eggs until they hatch and then allow the hotel guests to release them to make their way to the ocean.

We were able to do this twice while we where there.

I was amazed at the strong instincts that allowed these little creatures to hit the beach and head straight for the water.

We all stayed out of their way and cheered them on. When the waves came in and tumbled them back up the beach they'd get themselved reoriented and head straight back for the water.

Both evenings everyone stayed and cheered them on until the very last baby turtle made it to the water.

The Hubster named this one Tomás the Turtle

It was truly an amazing experience and I was thrilled to be a part of it.

Melissa 3/09/2012 7:51 AM

I want to go there so I can participate. I love this! Thank you for posting something so uplifting just when I needed it most.

Jen 3/09/2012 9:05 AM

This is my idea of a wonderful vacation. How cute are those little critters. Although I must admit, I'd be soooo tempted to try and sneak one home with me!!

I love that nature makes them so determined.

Eleanor 3/09/2012 10:10 AM

This is the post I've been waiting for since y'all got home from your vacation! What an amazing experience, and the pictures are wonderful. Thank you!!

Les 3/09/2012 10:31 AM

Simply wonderful! My next trip should be to your Mexican resort.

Carrie,  3/09/2012 12:13 PM

Such an amazing experience for you - one you and the hubster will never forget. Love to do this.

SuziQoregon 3/17/2012 8:04 PM

Melissa: Seriously - it was an amazing experience.

Jen: it was great - they're so adorable and the way they just keep heading for the water no matter what was incredible.

El: I just knew you'd love this. Truly an incredible experience and I'm so glad that we were there at the tifht time.

Les: it's a great place for a vacation when you need a dose of mid winter warmth and sunshine. Let me know and I'll send you the info.

Carrie: You are correct - we won't forget this.

Trish 3/18/2012 2:44 PM

I cannot tell you how much I love this post and the pictures. What a memorable experience!

SuziQoregon 3/30/2012 9:18 PM

Trish - it really was an amazing experience. Glad you enjoyed the photos.